August 23rd, 2011 : Following an incident in a Greater Toronto Area apartment unit where two occupants were injured, the Windsor Fire and Rescue Services are urging residents to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the single burner camp stove called the “Cassette Cooker.”
Residents are urged to read the warning labels and instructions regarding the appliance and to turn over the drip pan, prior to using the cooker, so the supports for the pot or pan are facing up.
Although the cooker has a “safety device” intended to prevent the installation of a butane canister when the drip pan is face down, this device can be easily circumvented.
The Windsor Fire and Rescue Services are concerned that when the butane canister is improperly installed and the drip pan is face down, the pot or pan can block the burner opening, forcing the hot gases down into the appliance enclosure. Some of these gases pass through bulkhead openings into the fuel compartment causing pressure to build and the temperature to increase in the butane canister. These events occurred in the incident above and resulted in a fireball, injuring the occupants.
“To prevent injury, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions,” said Fire Chief Dave Fields.
These camp stoves are certified for outdoor use only in accordance with CSA 11.2-2000 “CSA Standard for Portable Type Gas Camp Stoves”. In addition, these cookers are approved for indoor use in restaurants under CSA Technical Information Letter (T. I. L.) R-21 “Portable Butane Cook Stoves for Restaurant Use”.
The Cassette Cooker is currently being sold in large retail stores and smaller supermarkets for as little as $11.99 (+ tax) and it comes in a plastic case.