As noted in an earlier article, following the January 1, 1966 annexation of the former Town of Riverside and a portion of Sandwich West Township, the Windsor Fire Department acquired six pieces of fire apparatus from the two suburban fire departments.
The three former Riverside rigs, two pumpers and an aerial, were covered in an earlier installment in this series. While Windsor acquired all three of Riverside’s rigs, just three of Sandwich West’s apparatus (as well as the former Sandwich West Fire Hall on Third Concession Rd.) were added to the Windsor Fire Department roster. We profiled one of these, a Mercury rescue unit with locally-made Welles Corp. van body, in an earlier piece – Windsor’s Other Rescue Squad.
The other two Sandwich West rigs were a pair of commercial-chassis pumpers – a 1960 King-Seagrave 625 gpm pumper on Ford chassis, and a 1953 Bickle-Seagrave/Chevrolet 420 gpm pumper.