On Thursday, February 16, Mademoiselle Crouse’s Grade 3 class at McCallum School was treated to a pizza party courtesy of the Children’s Safety Village of Windsor and Essex County. The lunch was for winning first prize, awarded to the students after they had beaten out more than 40 competing classes during a Family Feud-style game played following a two-hour fire safety course at the Safety Village.
Over 85,000 children have been educated at the Safety Village since it opened in September of 2003. Every year children are taught the importance of smoke alarms, how to prepare an escape plan, and how to recognize and stay away from poisons. “If your clothes catch on fire you have to stop drop and roll,” explained 8-year-old Shelly MacLellen. Her favorite part of the course was the real-life drill that included a strategic evacuation from a room filled with smoke, “There was a bed and you have to try to escape and then there is a lot of smoke.” During this exercise, children are taught how to identify the exits and the correct way to crawl out of the room to safety.
Lissa Percy, Public Education Officer, Windsor Fire & Rescue Services, was on hand to congratulate the class and present the children with a goody bag that included a ribbon and fire safety learning materials. Percy feels that this kind of education empowers the children, “they learn the messages and they take the message home to their parents…we talk to them about being prepared and practicing things and it re-enforces it and gives them the feeling of knowing what to do in case an emergency arises.”
Written By: Sanja Frkovic, OurWindsor.ca