||Town of Lakeshore, Essex County|
Highway 401 & Manning Road
||At approximately 0800 hours, during heavy fog with zero visibility, a major accident occurred in the Town of Lakeshore.
The number of calls and details were astonishing:
- Callers used their cellular phones to alert 911. During normal operations, there are 250 calls; on this day there were 1,244.
- 2 on-duty dispatchers at the Emergency Communications Windsor Fire Dispatch was increased to 6.
- In three separate locations there were 85 vehicles involved in collisions, stretching over 1.5 miles.
- Thirty of these vehicles were in the "Hot Zone".
- Major concerns included a ruptured diesel tanker (20,000 to 30,000 litres involved) and a report that Radioactive Isotopes were also involved.
- There were 25 additional unrelated incidents reported.
|Injuries & Casualties
- 45 patients transported to hospital
- 8 deceased
- 3 hospitals, 27 ambulance vehicles, 42 paramedics
- 5 area fire departments, 47 fire vehicles, 217 fire personnel
- Other municipal agencies including: Public Works, Transit Windsor, Airport Fire, Salvation Army, Sports Medic, Windsor Police, Red Cross, Victim Services, and County of Essex Emergency Planner.
TimelineA complete timeline of the events is detailed here.
Command System Components
Overwhelming co-operation amongst citizens, emergency responders, agencies and businesses.
The worst situations bring out the best in people.
**Click here for Slideshow