Since careless smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths, if you or someone you live with smokes, please follow these safety tips.
- Use large deep ashtrays that won’t tip over to butt your cigarettes out
- Never empty ashes in the garbage
- If someone smokes make sure your house is well equipped with smoke alarms
- After a party, check for fallen butts on sofas and behind cushions. Make sure they have not burned through the fabric to erupt later into a deadly fire.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children
- If you have children and smoke have only one lighter and keep it with you at all times.
It is important to have an escape plan and several working smoke alarms in the unfortunate event that fire does break out in your home.