Being prepared in the event of a fire gives you a better chance of surviving it. Don’t be one of the 150 people in Ontario who perish in fires each year. Be smart. Learn and implement fire prevention measures. Windsor Fire & Rescue Services has your safety in mind.
Give yourself a head start. Smoke detectors save lives by providing early warning in the event of a fire. Be sure to install them on every floor of your home, including the basement and near each sleeping area. Make sure you test your detectors at least once a week to ensure they’re functioning properly and replace the batteries once a year. Make it part of your Spring cleaning routine.
Plan and practise your escape. Every member of the household should know at least two exits from each room. Make sure that doors and windows needed for escape are unobstructed and easy to open. If an exit involves an upper story window, make sure there is a safe way to reach the ground. Decide on a meeting place outside the home, where everyone can meet. Knowing your escape ahead of time could very well save your life and the lives of your loved ones.
If you have small children, take extra care to remove fire hazards and teach them fire-safe behaviour to prevent home fires. Use extreme caution with cigarettes, matches and lighters. Provide large, deep, non-tip ashtrays for smokers. Before you go to bed or leave your home, after people have been smoking, check for smouldering butts under furniture cushions. Never ever smoke in bed or when you’re drowsy. More than half of all fatal home fires happen while people are sleeping.
Never leave a burning candle unattended. Ensure it is in a safe holder, away from combustible materials. Keep in mind that it only takes 30 seconds for a small flame to become a completely out-of-control, major fire. Making yourself and family aware of these potential hazards will help keep your home safe and fire free.
If your clothes catch fire, do not run. Stop moving, drop to the floor and roll over and over to smother the flames. Cover your face with your hands. This will protect your face and lungs. If you are unable to drop to the floor, smother the flames with a blanket or a towel.
Never enter a burning building for any reason. Call the fire department from a neighbour’s phone.