If a fire breaks out in your home: REMAIN CALM!
- Sound a warning.
- Get everyone out: wrap children in blankets if necessary … don’t take time to get dressed.
- Call the Fire Department … call from a safe location … do not delay.
- If you are leaving a room in a burning building, never open the door without checking to see if it is warm. A warm door may mean that there is a fire on the other side. Feel the door before attempting to open it … if it is hot … Use an alternate exit, if possible.
- If you should awaken to a smoke filled room, stay low, crawl below the smoke to safety.
- In the event of fire, close doors behind you as you leave the building. This will slow the progress of the fire. If it is safe to do so, turn off all appliances as you leave.
- If your hair or clothing should catch on fire, smother the flames with a towel, blanket or other thick material … or STOP, DROP & ROLL to smother the flames. Get medical attention as soon as possible.
- Make a family fire escape plan. (See “Fire Escape Planning”) Keep your escape routes free of obstructions and practice often.
Home Safety Tips!
- Avoid careless smoking, use ashtrays and never smoke in bed
- Avoid unsafe cooking practices (too much heat, unattended stoves, wearing loose clothing while cooking etc…) Use caution when deep fat frying and keep a lid close by to cover a pot of hot grease should it catch fire.
- Check your smoke alarm regularly and replace the battery as necessary.
- Avoid storing unnecessary flammable liquids in your home or attached garage, such as gasoline, and paint solvents.
- Never store propane cylinders in your home or attached garage.
- Do not use unsafe electrical appliances. Do not use extension cords as permanent wiring. Discard frayed extension cords. Do not overload circuits.
- Tighten fuses in the fuse panel or check circuit breakers for free operation every Spring and Fall.
- Ensure that your wood stove and chimney are installed and maintained in an approved manner.
- Participate in Spring and Fall clean-up of basement, garage, yard and other storage areas.
In the event that a small fire cannot be extinguished with the use of a portable fire extinguisher or the smoke presents a hazard to the operator, leave the fire area at once. Never, place yourself or others in jeopardy by attempting to extinguish a fire. The door to the area should be closed to confine the fire. Alert the other occupants, ensure that the Fire Department is called from a place of safety. Wait outside for the firefighters to arrive.
Provided through cooperation from the Ottawa Fire Department.